Monday, April 9, 2012

Welcome to House on Hope Street

Welcome to my new blog, House on Hope Street. Let me tell you the story of this charming street sign, standing askew and catty-corner from my front porch. I would sit on my wicker chair and look out across the street, and often my gaze would fall upon this sign. Simply stated and a bit worn from its vintage, the word HOPE worked on me one summer. I had a nasty commute, would get home beat and uninspired, and had quit looking forward to weekends. One day I looked at that sign as I would most days and it was just as if one of the 90-year old bricks fell off my chimney and hit me on the head: I was missing HOPE. Whatever it is that puts a glimmer in your eye in anticipation of something new or fun or precious or better. Whatever it is that puts a spring in your step, oh, about halfway through Thursdays. Whatever inner inspiration that scurries your mind in planning, creating and what-iff-ing until you fall asleep at night. I was sitting on my patio chair waiting for all that to come back to me, and all along it was taunting me from across the street.
I made a vow to myself to be more intentional about planning, doing, seeing, visiting, sharing. Being more purposeful about meeting joy half-way. Being artful, learning and doing. I turned my life around, for better or worse, looking at this sign, all while sitting on the porch of my little House on Hope Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment