Sunday, April 15, 2012

To Every Season, Turn, Turn, Turn


It's that time of the year again! No, we're not quite thatching grass yet, or tipping out our double-hung windows with ammonia cleaning solution. Here on Hope Street, we've lovin' our early spring, and got so caught up in the unseasonably warm weather that we forgot an important spring task. Today, I finally managed to set aside a half-day to do the deed: the semi-annual seasonal clothes change-over! Audience groans... don't we all hate doing this?

Meet our double closet ----> I can't be original to the home because it's the only maple in the house, but on closer look, and I think I only know this because I dated a guitar player way back in the day, there is some curly maple in parts of the panels. Can you see the waves in the top of the third door? It's just neat.

Begin. Start with a step-ladder, but fantasize about someday installing one of those library ladders on a mounted rail.
Climb up and start to pull out these linen bins that you picked up at a little store founded by Sam Walton. There should be a couple of franchises near your hometown!





You will see the paper tags where you labeled the content using a Sharpie. You can flip the tags over to the other side as you change your closet over.


Here comes the BEST part! Look in your bins. Wow, I forgot about that silver blouse! I am so excited to pull it out and get it back in circulation!


In springtime, add all that wonderful color back into your closet. I somewhat organize by color, but I'll break it up (look at the navy between the reds and pinks.) Hmmm...someone has an orange fetish. Remember ROY G. BIV?




I usually pick out my pants first when I put an outfit together in the morning, and then find a blouse to go with, but, hey on a crazy day, I'll go the other way! Here is a little staging hook I have for blouses, and if you look, a little peek at my shoes. I wore this cute knotted top to a special luncheon I attended today with black pants and blush jacket and shoes.



 Here's what else is in my side of the closet. And it's here where I confess that my husband and I actually call this room the Closet Room. The room also has two other closets, two dressers, an end table, place for my jewelry, and room for an ironing board. Here, I stack some casual slacks, some special shoes, silver polish cloths, stain sticks and leather cleaner, plus a little blue bag shopping memory.
On the other side is my makeup travel case, some odd scarves (for their odd owner), a box for broken jewelry, a pretty box for receipts and a bigger one for suntan lotions (I know, that doesn't really belong.) There is also "the button book." The button book is currently in need of some attention!

Here is a peek at the button book  ----->> Buttons, threads, toggles, snaps and such for my clothes. I keep them. I organize them. Guilty, I label them. There have been a few times the button book has come in handy for mending, but mostly, I enjoy the craft of organizing these buttons in a little album I bought. Sometimes I think if I die and someone finds my button book, will they keep it in its special organizer on a shelf, or will they pitch it?
Oh, gosh, see how easy it is to get distracted during the changing of the clothes? FOCUS! Of course you must know this also means dusting, running a load or two of laundry, throwing away hangers, starting a donation pile.... oh, for the luxury of being able to keep everything out all year round...

My belly is now growling for lunch; I've spent all morning in the closet room, and I'm ready to fill the bins with sweaters and tweed and wool. <<-------------- Sandals need to come out and boots go back up. I use a big Longaberger basket that I purchased in the Seconds quality area at the Longaberger Homestead in Ohio. I am not quite ready for shorts yet, so I leave the bin handy, up top.
And so, with every season, the ritual looks much like this, and then I climb back up the ladder, cinch up the donation bag, and feel a huge sense of accomplishment! Thanks for taking my closet tour. ~ Erin

Linking to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch

2 comments:

  1. I hate that chore! I'm pretty good about switching out my boys' clothes, but not mine or my husbands. Lazy? You bet! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin, I hadn't seen your new blog until today. Love it. Love the look and the message. I'm like you - I didn't get my closet and drawers switched for the season yet. I was just about to when the weather was warm. Now I'm too cold to worry about it at the moment. Wish I had a much bigger closet that I could leave every season in there at the same time.
    Been thinking about you lately and hope you're doing well!
    Nina Knox
    http://over50andhappy.com

    ReplyDelete